Friday, January 25, 2008

The Silk Worm

The ancient spiritual Director of the 13th century, Rumi wrote:

I stood before a silk worm one day.
And that night my heart said to me,

"I can do things like that, I can spin skies,
I can be woven into love that can bring warmth to people;
I can be soft against a crying face,
I can be wings that lift, and I can travel on my thousand feet
throughout the earth,
my sacks filled
with the
sacred."

And I replied to my heart,

"Dear, can you really do all those things?'

And it just nodded "Yes"
in silence.

So we began and will never
cease.



My prayer after this Holy Land visit is that we will bear the light of Christ's love to the world by blending justice and mercy together. We do this by not being silent in the face of the ghettoizing of Palestinian people by Israel. We can bear the light by speaking up and out. We can bear the light to our hired politicians and by making donations to those in need of food, water, shelter and medical services.

May God bless those working for justice in the Middle East.

No comments: